Monday, February 1, 2010

Mexican Restaurants in Kuwait

Being from California we love our Mexican food. Unfortunately when I came to Kuwait I couldn't find a restaurant that could even closely compare to the mom n' pop Mexican restaurants in Cali. Yes, I did try Chi-Chi's (I get a laugh at the meaning of the name. You would have to know Spanish slang to know why it's funny as hell). I hated Chi-Chi's. The service was crap and the food wasn't much better. Some of you may like it but this just my opinion. As a contractor I could go to Taco Bell on base but it wasn't like home. There were very few items to choose from and the tacos were pure grease. I attempted to bring some home to the kids, by the time I got home it was greasy mush, sorry kids. Flash forward to today, I have found a couple new Mexican restaurants worth trying.

Amigo's restaurant in Avenues is really good. They assemble the food in front of you so you can see exactly what your getting. Burritos, tacos, nachos and taco salad. I stick with the chicken burritos mmm so good. The burritos have rice, you get to choose from 2 different kinds, beans (pinto or black), sauce, lettuce and cheese all wrapped up in big tortilla (pronounced tor-tee-ya). The only drawback is having to drive all the way to the Avenues and put up with crowds and traffic. I HATE fighting for tables at the Avenues. If you want to go I advise you go around noon time during the week.

Let's move on to Taco Time in Souk Salmiya. This is where City Center is in Salmiya. It's upstairs in the corner close to City Center. They have a similar menu including burritos, tacos, and other items. I go for the Casita Burrito which is pictured below.

The burrito meal comes with a drink and tater tots, how funny is that? I haven't seen tater tots since I was in elementary school. Surprisingly they are really good which brings me to the next item on the menu I like, the Mexican fries. Don't let the name fool you, there are no fries but tater tots covered with nacho cheese, sour cream and pica de gallo (pronounced pica-de-giyo). A little Spanish lesson, when two LL are together they are pronounced as a y. Below is a pic of the mixture. After looking at the pic I could imagine people thinking I'm crazy as it doesn't look quite as good as it tastes. Of course there are many other items to choose from if you don't want to take a chance on the tater tots.

Both restaurants are reasonably priced and the meals include a drink and side. Taco time has 2 other locations in Hawally and another Salmiya location behind Marina Mall beside McDonald's. I could only hope for a real Taco Bell or some other great Mexican restaurant from Cali.

8 comments:

  1. Kuwait needs a Chipotle, Baja Fresh, or Poquito Mas ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Baja Fresh, my mom loves the green chile made with tomatillos, she always reminds me of what we don't have here. What I wouldn't do to have a Mexican taco like the ones we used to get in L.A. at 3 a.m. after the club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how a bout a del taco or just some place call momasitas

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this blog is a Godsend. i misss mexiccan food. i am moving to kuwait and am from California...it's like this blog is speaking directly to me. no idea how its going to be so this blog will help me out so much! gracias!!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  5. En Mexico in Jabriya is amaaaaazing. The salsa, cornbread, chicken burrito, tamales, churros con chocolate... I need to make a trip there again asap. Their number is 99111015 if anyone wants to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! Where's the location in Jabriya?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's right behind Champions, the same street as early bird and zero degrees! Jabriya, Block 1A, Street 6 .. from their twitter account :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. there is a place its called sahuaro ive heard its good www.sahuarokw.com 99662020 or 97486888

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome! Personal attacks are not. Thanks!